Thursday, April 24, 2008

Viva Fiesta!

When I moved to San Antonio in 1980, Fiesta quickly became a yearly function my family attended and even worked. Back then, you could venture out to all the events with children and strollers. By the time I was in high school, however, some events were becoming a little more rambunctious--much more crowded with lots of beer spilling and crazy behavior. Now, I think you have to specifically plan to attend the designated "family" events if you are taking your children.

Carroll and I have always preferred to be at home rather than battling crowds, but I have to say that I'm starting to miss participating in the Fiesta spirit. I'm also feeling a little guilty that our children are not experiencing much of the history and culture that is San Antonio.

Luckily, the girls did learn a little about Fiesta at school. They made cascarones and sombreros. They had a float parade. And they have off tomorrow for Battle of Flowers.


Elle made a ladybug float and Piper made The Very Hungry Caterpillar.


Elle parading.


Piper parading.

Cannon cheering.

4 comments:

Dancing Queen said...

You guys will DEFINITELY have to come with us to Oyster Bake next year! How does Carroll feel about getting up at 6 am and cooking 1000 lbs. of fajitas???

Love all the pictures, but the one of Piper is SOOOO cute!! I'll e-mail you the ones I have in a bit!

Enjoy the day "off"!

Maggie said...

monica! i am so excited you have found another blogging buddy! if i knew how to add you and suz to mine i would, but i am new to this! i love reading about your kids!

Honorary Indian said...

Ohhhh, I MISSED not having to make a box float for the parade!!!!! Boerne ISD didn't even have today off! Boo hoo.

It's funny you should write that you want to re-capture the fiesta spirit...hubby is out of town, but I was trying to convince all of my girlfriends that we NEEDED to go to NIOSA this year or else we'd feel incomplete!

They didn't buy it...

So, we're on for next year?! : )

Hipmomofboyz said...

I wish I could have made a float...my kids did that in kinder and that was 4 years ago...so sad...
Your kids are so cute. and I love the name Piper...
I think you live in S.A.? Me, too....