Friday, May 16, 2008

For the Love of Bats




Rabies vaccination for family of five: $7700

Piece of mind that no one in family will get rabies: Priceless

I'm not kidding...we are currently getting the rabies vaccine. Now, we're not idiots...we know bats can carry rabies and we know that you don't want to get bitten by a bat, but we were a little naive about contact with the saliva, which possibly could be on the gloves and could have transferred to us before we cleaned up. (
Two kids that suck their thumbs, open wounds, eyes, etc.) The chances are probably very small, but come on! Are we going to play around with a disease that is 100% fatal?

So, the moral of the story: DON'T PLAY WITH WILD ANIMALS PEOPLE!! (Unless you have about $8000 to blow and have children who love shots.)

One added benefit of getting the rabies vaccine is that we can now play with any wild animal for the next three years and not have to worry. :)


12 comments:

Hipmomofboyz said...

Oh My Goodness,
That is so scary....I was pulling into my garage yesterday and I swear I say a bat flying by. I don't know maybe it was a bird, but I did kinda freak my freak. And now you post about a bat! HAIRY SCARY.
Are you really getting shots? If so that really stinks.

Dancing Queen said...

Now where are the screaming/crying pictures of everyone at the clinic??? That'll leave no doubt in anyone's mind!! Thinking of you guys!!

Hope this morning's vaccination went better & that McD's wasn't out of ice cream this time!!

Anonymous said...

Oh... bless your heart!! What a nightmare. Well, I like the fact that you are looking at the glass half full... you can now play with wild animals for three years without worrying!! That's funny. Not sure if your doctor has this but I'm going to throw it out there for advice... Our doctor has this "freeze spray" that she sprays on the spot where the shot will go in. It feels really cold and they can't feel the needle go in. They are so focused on the cold/freezing feeling they are distracted from the pain. I hate shots too, so I'm going to start asking for it myself. Just a litte FYI... it may help. :) ~Jill

MamaMia said...

DQ--it was so horrible at the clinic I couldn't take pictures, but I did have my camera. :)

OWW--I'm going to inquire about the freeze spray. We have three more times to get shots. Ug!!

Shanan Strange said...

Oh my goodness.. what a nightmare. I remember when my sister was 3, a stray cat bit her and rabies shots were going to be a must. About an hour before we left for our first shot, my Dad found the cat and got it to the vet, where it tested negative. Do they really have to give your shots in the belly-button or is that just an old wives tale?

Lisa said...

Oh my! I can't believe that they WANTED to touch the bat! I wouldn't have gotten withit feet of it. Kids... no fear! (And husbands for that matter!).

Glad you got things covered though! Even though it cost a small fortune.

MamaMia said...

AMK123--I always heard that you had to get 20 shots in your stomach when I was a kid. Not sure if that was really true. Luckily, we only have to get a total of 6 shots--5 visits--over a month's time: Day 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

nooooooo! NO!

oh... i hate to hear that! your post ... so right though! priceless!

God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Girl... I've got have an update!! Are you still going batty with those shots, etc. I hope everything has gotten better. :) Been having nocturnal thoughts about you and your adorable family. :) ~Jill

DD said...

AHAHAHAH!!!! Hilarious! Seriously, this cracks me up. Where I live in the deep south we always have a lot of bats around. On a dusk walk its hard to tell if flying animals are bats or birds.

:) At least your kids will be one of the cool few who have had the vaccination.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sweet comment this morning. :) I left you a comment back on that post.

David Cook in da house!!!!!!!!!!

I love that Yaz song that you have playing. Reminds me of those clubbin' daze.... I'm going to added to my list right this minute, after I eat my Pop-Tart. :)
~Jill

The Queen's Castle said...

I can NOT believe it! I bet it was that HIP HUBBY of yours that had the idea of picking it up in the first place. ;-)

Ouch, and the price. Better be safe than sorry, that's for sure!

Praying for you guys... by the way, I hope I don't start imagining bats flying around. Its bad enough I'm freaked out about frogs.