Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm Going The Distance

I'm going the distance,
I'm going for speed...


I can certainly apply some of the lyrics from the song "The Distance" by Cake. If you're not familiar with it, I have it at the top of my playlist. (I dig this song, but please ignore any other connotations it might have...I'm always the girl who belts out lyrics to a song and then years later learns what the song ''really" meant. How embarrassing. Let's think of this song in the context of my post.)

Back in June, I decided that it's about time for me to get back into the running scene. When my best friend from high school said she would be down in November to do the Inaugural Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, I couldn't get it out of my mind. Then Honorary Indian posted about it. Then, Piper's soon to be teacher mentioned she was training for it. Everywhere I turned, I kept hearing about it. Since I had four months to prepare, I registered. I mean FOUR MONTHS! When have I ever trained for something for FOUR MONTHS?! And, once I was committed, I discovered that my best buddy, Dancing Queen, was going to do it too!!

Speaking of Dancing Queen, I want to give a shout out to her for letting me steal her marathon counter that her sweet husband, Wes, made. It's so cool!

Now, for those of you that don't know, there are two kinds of people in this world...sprinters and distance/stamina people. I AM A SPRINTER. I can give 110% for a VERY short time. The reason I am not a distance person is mostly because of the mental aspect. If I even get an ever so slight thought that I'm tired, too hot, thirsty, wonder if I can make another three miles, etc., I panic. The mental part defeats me. So knowing this, why didn't I just stick with my 5Ks you ask? I don't know. Perhaps I'm trying to step out of my box, my comfort zone. Don't we feel more accomplished when we try something new?

The summer was great! I got my groove back, although maybe not as speedy as I used to be. I was able to get a run in three times a week before the kids got up and before Carroll left for work. I set a goal time for this 13.1 miles...hoping to maintain 10 minutes per mile. I was feeling good and confident.

Then school started. Since I have to get up at 5:00 am, I can't run in the mornings anymore, plus I NEED DAYLIGHT to motivate me. And having to keep the strict bath time, dinner time, bedtime schedule, in addition to Carroll not being home early enough, does not allow for running in the evenings. So, that leaves Saturdays. And even though I get to the gym a couple times a week, there is no way I can treadmill run. That, my friends, is pure torture.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to run 8.5 miles (MamaMia's made up training schedule). From this point on, I add a mile each week. So far, my Saturday runs have been decent...6.5 miles in 1:02 minutes, 7.5 miles in 1:11 minutes...sticking with the goal. But this is the point at which I start thinking 8.5 miles is very long...even if I go another 3, I'm still not finished! So, I need you to cheer me on blogging buddies.

13 comments:

Shanan Strange said...

All I can say is "WAY TO GO!" I am so proud of you for taking on this task. I cannot even imagine how hard you must be working.

Keep it up!!

Haley said...

you girls are awesome! I cannot even run one mile without passing out and I have been athletic all my life!
I really admire those who can run. You guys are gonna to great and I will be there cheering you all on in amazement! xoxo

Honorary Indian said...

Yeeee Haaawwww!

You go girl!

Wahooooooo!

Rock on, sister!!!

Last Wednesday I ran 10 miles!!!! TEN LOOOOONG MILES!!!!

But, I did it.

I totally understand how hard it is to run & train. I am a dictator mom when it comes to our nightly schedule, so unless I run in the morning, then it's not gonna happen.

Thankfully, I can drop off all 3 little ones at school. You still have your baby boy home which makes it more challenging.

But, YOU CAN DO IT!

Don't let anything stand in your way. You are woman, hear you ROAR!

Corny, I know, but it works for me. So does MC Hammer's "Too Legit to Quit!" :-)

Rachel said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!!!

I wish I could run; my shins always hurt so bad; I think I have the wrong sneakers...or tennis shoes LOL

Wow if you have run over 1 mile your way ahead of me...good luck!!

Dancing Queen said...

are you kidding me???
i can't believe you are running that much already!!! you've been holding out on me...i thought you were at least a bit above my league, not lightyears ahead of me;) where all are you running?? so, so jealous!!!

thanks for the shout out about the counter! i think it may be an hour off, but keep forgetting to ask wes how to fix it...don't want to seem ungrateful! LOL

i'm sad now 'cause i don't even think i'll SEE you at the marathon the way you're going:(
very proud of you though...even w/your crazy schedule, you have surmounted all already!

THE Stephanie said...

You go girl!! I be right here cheering you on... from my couch... lol. No seriously, maybe from the treadmill at the gym. :)

Good luck!!

Hipmomofboyz said...

You lost me at run....
good for you.

Dancing Queen said...

ok, apparently wes said it takes into account that daylight savings is in there before the race...go figure:)

see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Oh Funny Hip Mom... I was thinking the same thing. hee hee

Run... MamaMia... Run!! We are proud of you, say we are proud of you. Clap Clap Clap

You go girl!! You know I will cheer you gals on. BTW... love that "Distance" song playing. It rawks!!

Simply Me... said...

Howdy, hope all is well. Come on over I need to ask you something?

Lanny...

DD said...

Love love love this song. sorry its been a while. Life is, well its life. I'm catchin up wiht my 400+ posts in my reader. Bare with me sweet pea.

PS good reading

melissa ellen parker said...

You are kicking butt friend. AWESOME! I love the 1/2 marathons!

Going the distance is a great song to run to. I think it just gets you pumped. I also like the song Stand by Racall Flatts. I don't usually like running to country - but them, the dixie chicks (RUN and stuff) and Amy Grant get me feeling all strong.

Paulo Nutini - New Shoes - pretty awesome!

I used to run to Mambo #5 by Lou Bega back in high school. I was on the cross country team and so competitive. I find myself chanting that (pretty dumb) song still when I run. Its got a great beat though and keeps you running on pace. I recommend it.

We are def. doing a race together! We need to!

Lisa said...

You rock girl! You will have to let me know how it goes. I'm *thinking* of doing a half in March. I'm doing my first 5K (post baby #2) Nov.1st.

You can do it!!

OH and I got the girls Halloween shirts at WALMART! My kind of price :)