Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Recent Events

It's been a busy past two weeks. We've had one event after another. Here are some highlights and pictures from those various activities.

We begin with a family outing to Guadalupe River State Park one beautiful Saturday for a couple of hours. The plan was to have lunch out there and walk along the river. I should have known that the kids would end up in it.


October means Fire Safety Week and what better way to learn about that than with a real fire truck and firefighters! They come out to the preschool every year and although Piper doesn't care for the loud sounds the sirens make, she enjoys squirting the water from the hose.


Next up, Elle's first bike rodeo. Unfortunately, we have limited biking experience due to the busy street we live on. Considering that, however, Elle did a great job. She was very cautious, but that's just her personality. While practicing for the rodeo, we tried convincing her she is ready to try riding without the training wheels, but she would have nothing to do with it. Maybe in the spring.



Elle attends a school that goes through 12th grade. There is an emphasis on being connected at all levels, including with the high school. The varsity cheerleaders offered a cheer clinic that Elle participated in on Columbus Day. Of course, she was extremely reserved at first , but got into it eventually. The best part was cheering at the pre-game pep rally and during the football game. For those of you that don't know, Elle is on the right in the first picture and she is behind the two girls in the second picture.



The girls both had field trips to the pumpkin patch. Thank goodness they were on different days. Everything else the rest of the year falls on the same day! I'm going to have to get creative when it comes to being in two different places at the same time.


Now, go back and look at the picture of Piper in the pumpkin patch. She's wearing her school t-shirt, which are always a bit boyish looking. Knowing that, however, I put her in a HOT PINK long-sleeved t-shirt underneath. Not only that, but she is wearing CAPRI jeans and she did start out the morning with a pink bow in her hair. The day of her field trip, Carroll picked her up from school and took her to lunch at What-A-Burger. Carroll later told me that the woman taking the order told him that he had a beautiful boy. That "deeply disturbed" him and he wishes Piper's hair was longer. Piper's cut gets the most compliments out of all three of our children. People ask me all the time where we have it cut and who cuts it. This cut matches her cute little personality. So, what I need from you is a little reassurance that she DOES NOT look like a boy. And, I need to know if we should change her style to something a little longer. I would love to have her hair look like this (scroll down and look at the various pictures of beautiful Kenidi and her awesome hair). I don't know that Piper has the right thickness/texture for this style.

There is always something for a mommy to worry about, even if it is a hairstyle.

4 comments:

Jennifer Price said...

Monica- Piper is a beautiful little girl (and clearly a girl!) with a spunky little personality. Her hairstyle matches her perfectly. If she begins to say that she would like to have longer hair or wants to have ponytails, then let it grow out. But, please don't worry about what someone from whataburger said. Poor Carroll. I do understand how he feels- Ronnie was crushed one day when he took Logan to Home Depot (his hair was a little longer) and the lady in the paint department kept telling "her" how pretty she was. I didn't cut his hair (I loved his longer surfer-boy look),but he soon took a pair of scissors to it himself which reqired a buzz cut to even it all out. We are now trying to grow it back out a little. I love all of the pictures of the kiddos- I was wondering what you had been up to...

Dancing Queen said...

oh, those daddies!!! don't they know we have ENOUGH to worry about without adding to it! he probably looks at sam's hair and thinks he looks like a girl...which we also do get from time to time...even my grandma, before she passed away, would refer to sam as "she"! so funny...piper is adorable & jen is right, it matches her perfectly!! i love it, love it!

now you have to teach me how you figured out the "clouding" effect...the way i did it on our picture last time, i don't think was the right way!

even though i see you/your kids quite often now I love all the pictures of what you've been up to!! especially your "OTHER" world that i don't get to see!!

Anonymous said...

I think Piper's hair in adorable. Short and sassy... gotta love it!! No boyish look to me!! Funny that you mentioned Kenidi from Angie's blog... I've always loved her sassy cut too!! You both have beautiful children. Those guadalupe pics are cute too. :) You guys have been busy!!

~Jill :)

Hipmomofboyz said...

Oh, somebody has been busy the past week. I was wondering when you were going to post again, now I know why it's been a while. I love the pictures at the park.