Halloween is usually a BIG production around our house. Carroll starts to get giddy around September coming up with ideas for his latest prop(s). These props involve spending lots of time building, programming, and decorating. As we approach Halloween, my car eventually gets kicked out of the garage so the assembly can take place.
If I think back to our first year of marriage, it was so simple...Carroll rigged up spiders to come down above his head when we opened the door for trick-or-treaters. I was appalled that he would drill holes in our wall for the small pulleys required for this to happen. Little did I know that was nothing compared to what was to come years later.
The next year, he added a strobe light skull. From then on, it seemed to get more elaborate by the year...spooky music, fog machines, a witch's cauldron. Then the serious props were made...the pop up skeleton (with remote control), the flying crank ghost, the chained coffin made to look like it was coming out of the ground with a hydraulic thingy banging on the inside and Carroll's distorted voice saying "Let me out!" And let's not forget the need for the stereo equipment and computer to be hooked up to allow for the programmed timing of the strobe light blinking with the thunder/lightning and spooky sounds. Needless to say, this is not a one man show... our good friends, Chuck and Leslie, have to come over each year to help man the operation.
Carroll takes the day off to set up. Yes, it takes the entire day and many trips to Home Depot for supplies for last minute tweaks.
Once the show is on, there are big crowds hanging around to see it in action. Carroll and Chuck are sensitive to the little ones and keep it low key for them, but when the big kids and adults come around, watch out!! When it's time to call it a night, people hang around asking questions, especially about the flying crank ghost floating in our bedroom window. I have to say, that's my favorite prop too. And, she looks just like me! Go figure!
Months later we can be out for a walk and kids will recognize Carroll and act as if he is some celebrity..."Hey! You're the guy with the cool Halloween house!!"
This year, however, we took Halloween off. Carroll was concerned that some of his props were on their last legs and his work schedule is so hectic right now that he couldn't devote time to make new ones. Not only that, but our porch and walkway are under construction and it would have been extremely dangerous to have children coming up to the door.
Carroll said he couldn't show his face around our place with no props, so we headed over to Dancing Queen's house. Wes, Dancing Queen's husband, gets all giddy about Halloween like Carroll too. And this year, with Halloween being on a Friday, Wes was able to prepare quite the spooky yard for all to enjoy. Check back on The Holland Blog for pictures of the set up. We all had a wonderful time and we appreciate them letting us crash their party.
By the way, if you keep up with Dancing Queen's blog, you know her one day will be sister-in-law, Haley of Laura Haley Photography. Haley was kind enough to take some pictures of us while we were hanging out with The Holland Five. Thanks Haley!


Sunday, November 2, 2008
Halloweens Past
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Great post,I missed you I check your blog everyday you know! Thanks for sharing...
LaNnY
so glad you posted these pics! they make me laugh every time I look at them... you are so welcome :)
The kids look so cute! Glad you guys had fun.
OUCH! Those costumes are so ORANGE!! HA :) We just might have to send gifts from our love :)
Glad you had a good Halloween despite not being able to do the big production this year. Sometimes it's nice to do that. We didn't Christmas decorations last year (mainly b/c our house was for sale and we moved on Dec 26th), but it was WONDERFUL!! No fuss.
cutest cheerleader I've seen!!!
So sad when the men have to give up their toys, huh?
oh my gosh this is is AMAZING! How fun! I would love to see some pictures/video of it next year when you do it.
HUGS!
PS. LOVE THIS SONG!
it was a fun night & glad the guys got to pool their resources & pull it all together for a great production!
love the pictures!! the kids are hooked up for life now!
really glad ya'll came over...
I didn't even know you posted this! THAT IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!
Its alright you haven't been by much lately. I know you are a busy Mama Mia!
How's the training going? I can't wait to hear all the details after your successful run.
Fill me in.
I still miss you even though I know you are busy! (I told Jill - we need to do a Blogunion someday)
Big ol hugs girlfried. Squeeze those kiddos for me. I can't wait to have my own!!! God will send them to me(sooner rather than later, I hope!)
looks like you guys had a great time...I love the Longhorn cheerleaders,.
Post a Comment