Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ballet Recital 2008

I never took ballet as a child and because of that lack of experience, I am so surprised at what a BIG production these recitals are for such young children. Don't get me wrong, I think they are fantastic, but I am absolutely spent after a week of general rehearsals at the studio, a dress rehearsal and finally, the actual recital at the theatre. The dress rehearsal and recital were five to six hour days complete with hair, makeup, and downtown parking...serious stuff.

The day of the dress rehearsal was officially the hardest day ever with three children. I could not find a babysitter for the life of me. No family member was available because it was a Friday--everybody was working. So, unfortunately, I had to add Cannon to the level of difficulty. Besides all the stuff I had to carry, the logistics of getting Elle and Piper on stage at the right time and changed into their second costumes with Cannon strapped in my front carrier was the craziest. Thank God for fellow moms willing to watch my children when I needed to be in two places at one time.

The day of the recital was a much different story. I had Carroll, my mom, and Morgan (SIL) with me to help out.

Speaking of Morgan, here's a shout out to her: Thank you Aunt Morgan for coming over early to do the girls' makeup. You did a beautiful job. Sorry you got a speeding ticket on the way. Thank you for being my lovely assistant during costume changes. And thank you for the great snapshots of the girls during the show. We love you!


This was Elle's second recital and Piper's first. Elle performed to "My New Philosophy" (tap) and "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" (ballet). Elle, my perfectionist, was so perfect...absolutely beautiful.

Piper performed to "I Just Want To Be A Star" (ballet) and "New York, New York" (tap). Piper is all about having fun, and that she did. She was just so cute up on stage. She, too, did a great job. I'm a very proud mommy.


The girls had VBS this past week, right after the recital weekend. They had a blast. We have finally reached a week where there is NOTHING going on...ah...my summer is about to begin.

11 comments:

Simply Me... said...

I love your blog! I was just on our friend Jill's and I clicked on to your what fun, I will add you to my fav's and Shawn is great she also did my blog I live near her and we get together alot! Have a great tuesday! come over and visit sometime!www.simplylanny.blogspot.com
Lanny:)

DD said...

Oh my gosh SOOOOOOOOO CUTE! I love the theme here. Rock em back to the 40s I say... way better than the hooker clothes we have in the 2000's ;)

DD said...

I only took off the comment moderation that week I went to WDW. I like to know when I get comments. I'm a comment hog.

THE Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness your girls are soooo cute!!! My daughter did dance for one year and that was all she could take... lol

Shanan Strange said...

Aaaawww.. that brings back so many memories of when my daughter was little. The girls are just adorable!!! P.S. What is comment moderation?

Hipmomofboyz said...

oh,,,they both looks so cute. I bet they did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out Monica! It was absolutely my pleasure. Can I request that I be asked to help with all future recitals? I love my nieces and nephew - so wonderful and precious!

Angie Seaman said...

Love those pictures. They are just beautiful. Too cute! Too cute!
Blessings, Angie Seaman
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angelicagracedesigns.com

Jennifer Price said...

Monica-

They are gorgeous! I love the costumes and music. So much fun. Kathryn took dance for two years and decided to do more gymnastics and soccer. I really wanted her to stick with dance, but oh well. I get one more shot with Camryn- actually, I think I will check right now and see if she will be old enough in the fall. She is 19 months now...

Anonymous said...

So cute!! I remember dancing in recitals many moons ago. I loved having that tight bun on the back of my head and getting to wear make-up. No recitals for this mom... only baseball fields. :( No buns, no make-up... just athletic supporters and batting gloves. :) hee hee ~Jill

Dancing Queen said...

OH MY GOSH!! How can I be 2 posts behind on my best friend's blog??? These pictures are so great! If I couldn't see the girl's dance, I'm so glad I got to see them in between rehearsals! They are adorable AS ALWAYS!!

So grown up!!! Our pictures are still to come...along w/a gazillion others of different stuff!!